How did everyone fare with the storm this weekend? We got some heavy rain and strong winds, but didn't lose power and had no damage in our neighborhood, thankfully. The storm did provide a nice excuse for a lazy day with movie watching, video games, reading and some cooking.
I love all the wonderful summer produce rotating through my local grocery store. On my last visit, the tomatoes were especially tempting, so I decided to make a tomato pie. It's incredibly delicious and tastes a little like lasagne (though there are no noodles). It was perfect served with some grilled chicken.
Pie Crust (your favorite recipe or a store bought one)
4 Tomatoes, thinly sliced
3 scallions, sliced
3 t basil, chopped
2/3 cup cheddar, shredded, plus a little extra to top the pie
1/4 cup parmesan, shredded, plus a little extra to top the pie
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup mayo
- Prick crust all over with a fork and pre-bake for 10 mintes at 450, let cool for awhile before filling (until it is comfortable to touch, or you can even do this step well in advance)
- Meanwhile, lay tomato slices on paper towels and sprinkle with salt to drain.
- Mix cheeses, garlic and mayo in a bowl until well combined
- Create layers in the crust of tomato, scallions and basil, I did about three layers in mine
- Spread the cheese mixture evenly over the top, sprinkle top with extra cheese
- Bake at 400 until golden brown (about 30 minutes)