Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Brown Bread

When a bread basket is presented, I almost always go for the brown bread. It's a lightly sweetened, chewy and delicious bread. Since my breadmaker has come into the picture, I decided I needed to make my own, after reading through many different recipes I have created a version that I think is top notch.

Ingredients:
1 cup + 1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup molasses
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick oats + more to sprinkle on top of bread before baking, if desired
3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Directions:

  1. Add ingredients to bread machine in order above
  2. Set machine to dough cycle
  3. After completion of the dough cycle, remove from machine, shape into a boule and cover loosely with lightly oiled plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes
  4. Pre-heat oven to 350° 
  5. Sprinkle some more oats on top of bread (if desired) and bake for 40 minutes


Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Love the oats on top! This would go perfectly with some hot soup today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally with you on the brown bread, and I can't wait to try this!

    ~Jenifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, Mal, I can only imagine how good this must smell while baking! I need a bread maker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness this looks and sounds divine!! i have never made my own bread before ~ gasp! YUMMY!!!!! and i agree with you on the brown bread, i just love great chewy substantial texture ~ it's a must!
    xx ~ ks

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delish! I just bought some bread dip, so I'll need to make the bread now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you're getting on well with your bread machine...life is never the same after fresh bread xoxo
    http://www.intotheblonde.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delectable! My mouth is actually watering! I am a sucker for sweeter bread! All of my friends who get bread makers end up addicted! Luckily, I get to reap the benefits! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my, this looks IDEAL! seriously. i HAVE to try this. thanks for sharing.

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks absolutely delicious ... i am definitely going to have to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sooooooo hungry right now. Warm baked bread with some butter would be delicious! You are so talented in the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm thanks for this! I've been meaning to make bread for the longest time now!

    Belly B :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love sweet brown bread and I have yet to bake one!:D

    ***** Marie *****
    Freeman Beauty Blogger Kit Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a baker but I'm going to figure out a way to make this loaf of bread happen in my oven!!! :) Thanks for sharing, and for the well-wishes. This picture of bread is already making me feel better ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...