Monday, September 26, 2011

Cider Donut Bread Pudding

We went apple picking this weekend (thankfully the rain held off), and on our way out of the farm, we picked up 1/2 dozen cider donuts. When we shared a donut later that day, it wasn't as good as we remembered, the flavor wasn't great and it was lacking the cinnamon sugar coating that I generally associate with cider donuts. I decided to salvage them as best as I could, so I cut them up, let them get nice and stale and then made bread pudding!


ingredients:
5 stale cider donuts, broken into bite size pieces
1 1/4 cups half & half (you can use any milk, cream, half & half combo, this is just what I had on hand)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large apple, peeled and chopped
maple syrup (optional, for drizzling on top at the end)


Place the donut pieces and apples into a 8x8 buttered baking dish.


Combine the milk, half & half, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla and sugar in a bowl and then pour over the donut and apple pieces, let sit until the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally to disperse the liquid.


Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes. Allow to cool a bit, drizzle with syrup (if you wish), serve with a glass of cider and enjoy!



Pin It

12 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering and I just drooled all over my keyboard. Your blog always makes me hungry!

    ~Jenifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a ton of cider so I will definitely try this out!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love going apple picking and am always on the lookout for new apple recipes. This one sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, cider donut bread pudding, I would eat it up instantly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm, bread pudding sounds like a fabulous fall dessert ~ must make this asap!
    xoxo ~ ks

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds absolutely amazing!!! I am going to tweet this so others can check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! This looks delicious! Where do you find all these fabulous recipes? Thanks! Apple recipes are the best for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when you can take doughnuts or in my case, cupcakes, and turn them into bread pudding. EPIC!! ~Megan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...