Thursday, October 6, 2011

Brown Sugar Apple Pie

I'm still fairly inundated with apples from going to the orchard awhile ago, pie was the answer. My grandparents sent me a cookbook of variations on apple pie recipes, so I went there for inspiration.

adapted from Apple Pie: 100 Delicious and Decidedly Different Recipes for America's Favorite Pie

ingredients:
crust dough (your favorite recipe, or store bought)
6 apples, peeled and slice (about 7-8 cups)
1/2 dark brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter
milk
vanilla sugar (can also use regular granulated)

Roll out bottom crust and line bottom of pan, keep pie dough in the fridge while preparing the filling for the pie.

Mix together apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Put into bottom pie crust, then dot the top with bits of butter.

Cover with top crust, seal and flute edges, cut steam vents.  I also added a few decorative leaf shapes of dough. Brush crust with milk and then dust with vanilla sugar.

Bake at 400 for 30 minutes, then lower temperature to 375, move pie onto a baking sheet and then continue to bake for another 30 minutes.




Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I'd eat apple pie for breakfast! Apples are the primary reason I'm semi-accepting fall's arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now I'm craving apple pie like crazy! This looks delectable! And, might I add, your pie pan is so fabulous! Where did you get it? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rolex, it was a wedding gift, it's this one from Williams Sonoma (in the nougat color): http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/emile-henry-artisan-ruffled-pie-dish/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, that pie looks so delicious! I really love the pan you used to bake it in too, it gives it such a pretty look :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mm, so delicious! I had so many apples last October and managed to use every single last one of them. It was fun but I hadn't eaten an apple since then until recently, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baking an apple pie, which I've nevr done before, is on my bucket lust for autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never baked an apple pie, but just looking at this lovely piece {or pie} of sweetness certainly makes me want to ASAP!!! xoxoxo brynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so yummy
    XOXO,

    http://outfitidentifier.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mal, this looks so good. I love the idea of a whole cookbook about variations on apple pie (which is one of the best dessert EVER).

    By the way, you are my 100th blog follower, and thus my current favorite person (of ever)! Thank you so much for stopping by (and I look forward to reading more on your blog too)!

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the link! This is so totally cool! It would be a fun Christmas gift for some of my family members too! Love it!
    I appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey mal! this sounds soooo good! i love pie ~ every kind of pie actually, along w. a nice hot cuppa coffee. and your recipe looks pretty simple i think, which i like and need for a pie. it sure does sound delicious, i love anything w. brown sugar in it ;) ;)
    xx ~ ks

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my gosh this looks so good i have pinned it to my boards so i can CASE it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. apple pies are soo perfect for fall weather!!! Would love a piece right now =)

    http://stitchedandadorned.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM. i know what ill be making next weekend. :) thanks for this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. yummm it looks great!

    http://xoxo-carolinalove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...