Thursday, October 13, 2011

Crispy Potato Roast

Since seeing this recipe on Smitten Kitchen, I knew it would be in my future. I finally acquired a mandoline (I don't know if I'd have made it otherwise, this tool was essential to me for this recipe, I would have hated thinly slicing all the potatoes) and knew I could wait no longer, I had to make the crispy potato roast. And it was wonderful, looked beautiful and was a perfect side dish.

ingredients:
3 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
3 shallots, thinly sliced
salt
pepper
red pepper flakes
parsley

Preheat oven to 375

Mix together melted butter and olive oil and spread an even layer of it (about 1 tablespoon) on the bottom of your dish (I used a 9 inch pie plate), sprinkle with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Arrange your potato slices on their ends in the plate, you can make cool swirls or designs, I went for a sort of flower shape in the center. Then wedge slices of shallots between the potatoes, trying to disperse them as evenly as possible. Brush the whole thing with the remaining olive oil butter mixture and then season the top of the potatoes with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Bake for 1 hour. After an hour sprinkle parsley over the top and return to oven for another 30 minutes or so until it is nice, brown and soft.



Pin It

12 comments:

  1. One word: DELISH! Get out of my dreams and into my car. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Great autumn comfort fare xoxo
    http://www.intotheblonde.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my this looks delicious!!
    I stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say hi! Come on over and follow Color Issue...its all about color inspiration!

    xoxo
    Aarean

    colorissue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks soooo good - must make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a simple but effective recipe, they look super yummy.

    Sarah
    xo

    www.almostdelightful.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy beautiful potatoes! Watch those fingers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know? I love potatoes so much and this dish looks super delicious. Perfect for a Friday night cozy dinner:) Muah, sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mal ~ you are seriously such a great cook!! i love all of your recipes and this one is calling out to me! i love everything when potatoes are an ingredient!!
    xx ~ ks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...