Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Turkey Chili

This chili recipe is adapted from my friend Melanie's recipe for chili. This makes a huge batch but keeps well in the fridge for leftovers, and freezes perfectly. I generally freeze half of it.

2 28 ounce cans of crushed peeled tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 4 oz cans chopped green chiles
2 lbs ground turkey (can also use veggie crumbles or any combination of meat that you like)
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 jalepeno, seeded and finely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon olive oil
16 oz frozen corn (or canned or fresh)
1/2 teasoon cumin
4 tablespoons chili powder (or to your taste)
2 teaspoons oregano
black pepper & salt to taste

Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat, saute onion with oregano and cumin until tender. Add celery, bell pepper, jalepeno, garlic and green chiles. Stir to combine and then add in ground turkey. Cook until no longer pink.

Add tomatoes to the pot with chili powder and beans, bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer for about 45 minutes, add corn and cover until heated through. Serve with your favorite bread.

Topping ideas: cheddar cheese (my favorite), avocado, sour cream or plain greek yogurt


Pin It

18 comments:

  1. This sounds so delicious to me, I love it! Excellent recipe, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH. MY. WORD!!! this looks to die for :)

    Happy Wednesday Girly <3
    Simplycamylla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to try and make this for my dad. He LOVES chilli,

    I just read through your blog and it's pretty amazing. You got a new follower :) I can't wait to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. there is nothing better than chili in the winter!! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, I just noticed that right when you commented! I am SO excited :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I always use turkey mince in cooking as I don't eat red meat xoxo
    http://www.intotheblonde.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I super love chili, so I will be copying this recipe! It looks yummy delicious!!! :D
    http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm feeling sufficiently hungry now. :)

    ~Jenifer

    ReplyDelete
  9. yumm yumm!!! i want to make this!

    glad to make you now have 101 followers :)

    xo
    Classic & Bubbly

    ReplyDelete
  10. it is my favorite time of yr for chilli!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love turkey chili. This recipe is being bookmarked pronto!

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, this looks really delicious! I might try to whip this out over the weekend!

    xx Ivana

    I´ve made some big changes to my blog, and I´d love to hear what you think :)
    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  13. oooooh come to mama. this looks divine! and I'm starving.... thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...