Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Happy Chanukah!

Chanukah (the festival of lights) began last night at sundown. It is traditional to eat foods cooked/fried in oil to remind us of the miracle of the holiday (that the oil lasted for eight nights), such as latkes (potato pancakes) and sufganiyot (very similar to jelly donuts).

Here is my mom's recipe for latkes, they are absolutely amazing on their own, but are also great when served with homemade applesauce (my recipe is below), sour cream or both (which is how I eat them)

Potato Latkes
6 large Idaho potatoes
3 large eggs
1 large onion
1/3 c. flour (if making for Passover you can use matzoh meal instead)
2 t. salt
vegetable oil, for frying

Peel and grate potatoes; soak in cold water. Drain in collander and rinse with cold, running water. Squeeze excess water firmly from grated potatoes; they should be as dry as possible. 

Beat eggs in large bowl until frothy. Add flour and salt. Add onions and finally potato. Mix well.
Heat 1/4 " oil in a heavy skillet. Drop potato mixture 1/4 cup at a time into hot oil; flatten with back of fork or spatula. Brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. (You can keep the latkes warm in the oven until ready to serve. To retain crispness, keep latkes in single layer on cookie sheet.


Homemade Applesauce
4 apples (Macintosh are my favorite)
Cinnamon
Sugar

Peel, core and slice the apples and put them into a heavy pot/saucepan, and pour in about an inch of water. Bring this to a boil over medium heat until the apples are fork tender. Remove from heat and mash with a fork or a potato masher. Add cinnamon and sugar to taste.


Happy Chanukah!


Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Happy Chanukah Mal xoxo
    http://www.intotheblonde.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!!

    www.aroundlucia.com
    www.aroundlucia.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Chanukah! Have a wonderful holiday celebrating with your family.

    ~Jenifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and eat some potato latkes for me. I love those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I love these with greek yogurt on top.

    (ps. so awesome about the lens!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen lots of these lately. Yours look perfectly fried! And I love the idea of mixing up the toppings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm I had two big latkes last night, and they were delicious! Happy Chanukah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Latkes are so very tasty! My mom used to make them on a 'just because' basis - and I ate them up with sour cream.

    Call me dim but I've never had my applesauce with cinnamon. That sounds like a simply delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun- I like them with apple sauce too- We have the same menorah as you- Nice to find your blog and Happy Hanukkah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Latkes and that recipe is almost exactly like mine! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...