Monday, January 2, 2012

Black-Eyed Pea Dip

Happy 2012 everyone!  How did you all ring in the new year?

My mom was born and raised (for the most part) in Tennessee, as a Southerner she always had black-eyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck and prosperity. I was also raised with this tradition (I like to think of myself as half Southern), and like finding new ways to enjoy them on New Year's. Recently I came across a recipe for a dip and I tweaked it a bit. Even Greg liked this dip, and he's generally not a big fan of black-eyed peas. On the first day of 2012, this is what I made:

Black-Eyed Pea Dip (adapted from The Pioneer Woman)
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons salsa (I used Tostito's brand - medium heat)
3 tablespoons hot sauce (I used Frank's)
1 14-ounce can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 can corn (the kind with no salt added), drained
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 4-ounce can green chiles, drained
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix together cream cheese, salsa and hot sauce until smooth. Stir in the black-eyed peas, mashing them as you mix. Add in remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Spread into a baking dish and cook for about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve with your favorite corn/tortilla/pita chips


Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I can't wait to try it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always heard that blacked eyed peas are good luck. I never actually knew what to do with them for New Years, but this coming NYE I will definitely give this recipe a try! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey mal ~ mmmm, this dip sounds delish! and i love the pioneer woman too... happy new year 2012 to you!!!
    xo, k

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this just looks too yummy to resist. If it's Ree Drummond's then it has to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mal, that looks good! We had black-eyed peas the other day! :D This is definitely an improvement! HAHAHAHA I wanted you to have my new blog url.

    http://averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe sounds/looks amazing! I'm totally going to try it today with all our left over black eyed peas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun way to incorporate black eye peas into an early 2012 dish. This is definitely a dip you dont need to feel guilty about!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had some variations of this recipe, but never this specific one, so I'm anxious to try it.

    P.S. Are you on Pinterest? I'd love to follow you if you are.

    ~Jenifer

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...