Monday, March 19, 2012

Cheesy Buttermilk Bread

Buttermilk is an ingredient that I don't always have in my kitchen. It's an ingredient bought for specific recipes. (I only just found out that a powder version exists, so this all changes soon) When I buy buttermilk, I end up looking for ways to use up that which wasn't used in the recipe, which is how I came across this quick bread recipe, which is so easy and very customize-able for any taste and meal. And it's incredibly tasty.

This version is packed with cheese and so savory and perfect with any dinner.

Cheesy Buttermilk Quick Bread (adapted from here)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup grated cheese (cheddar is my favorite, I like to do a combo of mild and sharp)
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350. Grease your loaf pan and set aside.

Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.

In a seperate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and butter until well combined. Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients. Mix together gently until just combined into a 'shaggy' batter.

Pour batter into the prepared pan, top with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and bake for 45 minutes.

this recipe is also shared at some of my favorite food blog hops


Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good recipe to me, if I had any talent I'd love to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy! Thank you for sharing :) I am now following your cute blog. Thank you for stopping by my blog last week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks and sounds fabulous!! we are bread lovers in this house...and would love the cheesy twist! thanks!
    i am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great. A good substitute for buttermilk is to add 1 cup of milk to a Tablespoon of lemon juice and let it sit for 5 minutes. That's what I always do because I don't usually have buttermilk in my house either. Thanks for your comment on FEST. I hope you make it to Portugal soon!!

    Your newest follower,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never have buttermilk, either. I just add lemon juice to regular milk instead :). If you'd like to share your yummy recipe on my Must Try Monday link up, I'd love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds absolutely delicious! I've never actually baked bread because I have no idea how to work with yeast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious. It would make a lovely accompaniment to soup. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! New follower from the Things that make you say Mmm...hop. I co-host the Creative Corner Hop every Monday. Feel free to stop by and link up. It will be open all week.

    Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks beautiful! I can't wait to try it :)
    I have a fashion and cooking blog if you wanna come pass by it'd be a pleasure!

    xx
    www.pretpenser.com
    www.pretpenser.com
    www.pretpenser.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe looks delicious! I love buttermilk pie, so I am going to give this a try.

    Lynn
    CARMEN VOGUE

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love homemade quick breads and this one looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! Thanks for stopping by the Creative Corner Blog hop. Your newest GFC follower.

    Holly
    http://hollysstampingaddiction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! So glad to have you at Must Try Monday! Welcome! This is going to be pinned to my "Bread REcipes" board. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stopping by from the Creative Corner Blog Hop. Can't wait to try this one. TFS!

    Holly
    http://hollysstampingaddiction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing at the Creative Corner Hop.

    The Things We Find Pinteresting Thursday" is up and running if you would like to link up your favorite pins.

    Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...