Monday, March 5, 2012

English Muffin Bread

My grandfather made english muffin bread for me once when I was a kid and I absolutely loved it. I was craving it recently so did some research to find a similar recipe. This one is quite close to his, but I need to remember to get the 'official' one from him soon.

It's wonderful toasted with butter or jam or butter and jam. It's especially good with peanut butter. And it makes an amazing breakfast sandwich! I tried this method from Deb of Smitten Kitchen that I found on Cup of Jo a little while ago, I was really happy with the results.

English Muffin Bread (adapted from here)
1 cup warm milk
1/4 cup water
1/2 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon butter, softened (for greasing pan)
cornmeal (for coating pan)

Put all ingredients except butter and cornmeal into the pan of your bread machine and set to the dough cycle. After cycle ends remove dough and let it rest while you prepare a pan.

Butter a loaf pan and coat liberally with cornmeal. Shape dough into a loaf and put into pan, cover and let rise until doubled.

Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.


Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I love English Muffin bread!! I will definitely have to give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This kind of reminds me of something called 'hillbilly' bread my grandparents used to make for me when I was a wee kid. Looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. English muffins are so fabulously good! My grandmother used to make them for me when I was little! She would slather them with butter! So delicious! :)

    I may have to try English Muffin bread sometime...it looks a little different than what I am used to...but the photo is making my mouth water! Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...