Thursday, May 10, 2012

Chewy Chocolate Meringues

These delicious little meringues are so easy and quick to make. They are crisp, chewy, chocolatey, and light as air. A word of warning...these are ridiculously easy to eat a lot of.

Chewy Chocolate Meringues (adapted from Williams-Sonoma Home Baked Comfort)
3 large egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, halved and scraped
2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk together sugar, egg whites and vanilla 'caviar' in your large, heatproof mixer bowl.  Set bowl over a pan of hot, barely simmering water (be sure that your bowl does not touch the water). Whisk constantly until sugar is completely dissolved into the egg whites.

Attach bowl to mixer with whip attachment. Beat egg white mixture until glossy and stiff. Remove bowl from mixer.

Sift cocoa powder on top of the meringue, and then sprinkle on the chopped chocolate. Fold together until completely incorporated and no streaks remain.

Drop by tablespoonful onto baking sheets. Bake for 9 minutes, rotate pans and then bake for an additional 9 minutes. Transfer meringues while still on the parchment paper to wire racks to cool. Once completely cooled, remove from parchment.

this recipe is also shared at some of my favorite food blog hops


Pin It

12 comments:

  1. I love Meringues. and I love chocolates! I've never had a chocolate meringue before thought. That sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made meringues once before and was surprised at how easy they were - and SO delicious!! this is a much quicker recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love meringues so much Mal and to see a post on how to make CHOCOLATE meringues really has blown my mind. I'm sorry I sound so greedy but mmm, I want some of this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love meringues, my grandmother used to make me big batches :) I love when they are crunchy on the outside and chewy inside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These do look dangerously delicious. Thank you for sharing them on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! Thanks for linking up to the Creative Corner Hop. I hope you'll visit again next week. btw--I'm pinning this to my Sweet Tooth board on Pinterest.

    Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meringues are so good. Thanks for sharing this at Must Try Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness! Just had dinner and I'm starving again! These look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum! i love these little air-y desserts! thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    Miyan
    www.miyan-overseas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks good, I will have to try these. Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/05/show-your-stuff-24-bread-machine-banana.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so good! I haven't tried chocolate meringue, but it sounds amazing! Thanks for linking up this week to Things That Make You Say Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...