Monday, May 7, 2012

Sausage & Chicken Jambalaya

Greg loves jambalaya. He raves about it every time we go to The Border Cafe, and asks me to make it at home. I recently stumbled upon a recipe on Cajun Delights (amazing blog with fabulous recipes, if you like Cajun food you should check it out immediately) that sounded and looked perfect, so I gave it a whirl. It turned out so well, very flavorful and moist with just the right amount of spice. It's perfect as a main course or a side dish.

Sausage & Chicken Jambalaya (adapted from here)
14 oz andouille sausage, sliced
2 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 10 ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies (I used the 'original' heat level), drained
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce (I used Hunt's)
1 tablespoon creole seasoning (Tony's is my favorite)
3 cups water
2 cups rice (I used plain white basmati)

Melt butter in a large dutch oven and add in onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook for until onions have slightly softened (about 5 minutes) then stir in Rotel and cook together for another 5 minutes. Add chicken, sausage and creole seasoning, stir until well combined and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the tomato sauce, worcestshire sauce, and water, stir well and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and add rice, cover and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, making sure to scrape the bottom so that the rice doesn't stick.

this recipe is also shared at some of my favorite food blog hops


Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Yum- that looks so good- we love to cook cajun food as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so delicious to me Mal, I'd love some of this stuff right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mal,

    Looks yummy! I bet your husband was in dinner heaven. I followed you over from the Savory Sunday party. I would love if you stoppped by my blog.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet of ou to make this for your hubby. Thanks for sharing at Must Try Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had Jambalaya before, but I love everything included in your recipe so I'm going to have to try this!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at Mom's Test Meal Mondays!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...