Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Summer Pasta Salad

This recipe is based on a simple summer dinner my mom would often make, it was always so perfect on a hot day and I requested it frequently. She would also add in a can of tuna, but Greg hates tuna so I've adapted it a bit. I have also added more summer veggies to take advantage of all the lovely fresh produce coming into season right now.

This pasta salad makes a wonderful side dish to a grilled summer meal. It is also excellent served as a main course (I'll sometimes toss in some grilled chicken for protein and to make it more substantial as a meal, but it works just as well vegetarian). An extra delicious side for this meal is my favorite cheesy garlic bread.

Summer Pasta Salad
2 cups medium shells
1 cucumber, diced
1 tomato, diced
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
2 ears of corn, kernels removed
1 scallion, finely sliced
2 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
2 1/4 teaspoons dried basil
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
ground pepper to taste
optional: cubed grilled chicken or a can of flaked tuna

Cook shells in boiling water and drain.

While the pasta is cooking, whisk together oregano, basil, pepper, oil, and vinegar is a large bowl. Stir in cucumber, onion, tomato, scallion, and corn (and the chicken or tuna if you're adding those).  Add pasta to bowl and toss until well combined

this recipe is also shared at some of my favorite food blog hops


Pin It

9 comments:

  1. I was just craving for pasta salad the other day, and your post has convinced me that I need to make some soon. I usually use balsamic but I'll have to try using red wine vinegar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works well with balsamic too, but my mom generally made it with red wine vinegar so that's how I crave it! :-)

      Delete
  2. This looks so great! Thanks for sharing at Must Try Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that my husband would gobble up the whole bowl of it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pasta salad is such a perfect summer recipe, I've already made about 4 different kinds! I have to add this to my list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh YUM! I am making this for a 4th of july picnic this weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pasta salad with extra veggies in the summer! I haven't tried it with an oil/vinegar dressing before...definitely must!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds yummy, great use of fresh garden veggies! TFS on the Creative Corner Blog Hop.

    Holly
    http://hollysstampingaddiction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving pasta salads in the summer. Thanks for a great new recipe and for linking up at Mealtime Monday! Can't wait to see what you link up next week!

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...