Monday, July 16, 2012

Slow Cooker Cider Pulled Pork

Nothing says summer like BBQ. Our apartment is unfortunately grill-less, so I have to find other ways to enjoy BBQ at home. Here's a great way to make some pulled pork inside without heating up the whole place by turning on your oven.

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
5(ish) pound pork shoulder
1 12-oz bottle hard cider (Woodchuck is my favorite, I used their Amber variety for this)
1 large onion, peeled and sliced
2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's is mine) plus extra for serving

Place onions in the bottom of your slow cooker. Put pork shoulder on top of onions and pour in the cider.

Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours, or on high for about 5 hours (temperature should register right around 190 on a meat thermometer). Remove pork from slow cooker and shred with two forks, discarding bone and fat.

Skim fat off of the top of the cooking liquid (these handy little things make it so easy, and it'll catch all the onions in the top which you definitely don't want to lose) Pour BBQ sauce into crockpot, add 1 cup of the cooking liquid and the onions back into the pot, stir well.

Add pork into the sauce and cook for another hour or so. Serve warm on squishy rolls with extra BBQ sauce.

this recipe is also shared at some of my favorite food blog hops


Pin It

9 comments:

  1. This recipe is making me very hungry for some pulled pork, especially since it's not a common dish over here in Ireland, great post Mal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. I got to this via Mealtime Monday on Couponing and Cooking. I have linked in spicy mince lettuce cups. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pork and cider? Doesn't get much better than that! I'm always on the lookout for new slow cooker recipes and can't wait to try this one. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great. I haven't ever attempted to make anything bbq-like in the slow cooker, but your sandwich does look really good. I feel inspired:)

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom loves all things pulled pork, so she'd be all over this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the idea of pulled pork using cider! awesome

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cider! That's genius! Do you like spicy food? If so, you gotta try this recipe for spicy Dr. Pepper pulled pork! Similar to your recipe but with some heat! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds delicious!!! I usually buy Jack Daniel's Pulled Pork from Costco, but this sounds soooo delicious! Maybe I can talk my husband into making it for me!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/07/show-your-stuff-33-upsidedown-brownies.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...