Friday, August 3, 2012

Julia Child's Bread Machine Pain de Mie

I think we all know how much I love my bread machine. So imagine my delight when I came across Julia's method for making pain de mie (a traditional french sandwich bread) in a bread machine. I knew I wouldn't be able to resist trying it.

I opted for the method of baking the loaf in a traditional pan just because I like the way it looks.

Baking in the Bread Machine: White Sandwich Bread-Pain de Mie (from Julia's Kitchen Wisdom)

"It's not always easy to find good sandwich bread, and when I need just one loaf I enjoy using the bread machine. I don't bake it in the machine, because I don't like the look of the loaf, but it's neat and easy for mixing and rising. Here's my formula, made in any standard-size machine.

For an 8-cup fairly straight-sided loaf pan

Proof 2 teaspoons yeast, 1 1/2 tablespoons tepid water and a pinch of sugar in a cup (see box, page 81). Meanwhile, melt 1/2 stick roughly sliced unsalted butter in 1/2 cup milk, then cool it off by adding 1 cup cold milk. Pour into the container of the machine along with 2 teaspoons salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, 3 1/2 cups plain unbleached all-purpose flour, and the proofed yeast. Start the machine and follow directions for "dough." After its rise, remove the dough, flatten it, fold into 3, and return it to the machine for a second rise. Then the dough is ready to form and bake.

Either bake as in "Baking in a Loaf Pan" on page 84 [section reads: Butter a 2-quart loaf pan. Pat the dough into a rectangle slightly smaller than the pan. Fold in half lengthwise twice, as for long loaves, to form an even rectangle. Place seam down in pain, press flat into corners. Let rise until dough has doubled in volume. Meanwhile, slide rack onto lower-third level, and preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Slash top of loaf lengthwise down the center with a razor, and bake for 20 minutes, then reduce temperature to 400 degrees. When done, turn out of pan and cool on rack.] or, for a flat-topped, evenly rectangular loaf, fill the buttered pan by no more than a third, and let rise to slightly more than double. (Form any extra dough into rolls or baby loaves.) Cover top of pan with butter foil, and set in the lower-middle level of the preheated 425 degree oven. Set a baking sheet on top of the pan, weighting it down with a 5-pound something, like a brick or metal object.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until the dough has filled the pan and is browning well. Then uncover the pan and continue another 10 minutes or so, until the loaf comes easily out of the an. The interior temperature should be 200 degrees."

this recipe is also shared at some of my favorite food blog hops


Pin It

6 comments:

  1. This bread looks amazing Mal. I've always wanted to make my own bread, it's been a big ambition of mine as pathetic as that sounds because I bet it's much more amazing than processed bread. It sounds even better considering it's home made and a special kind of French sandwich bread too, enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference is huge between the store bought and homemade, I definitely recommend giving it a try, you'll never look back :-)

      Delete
  2. I agree, your bread looks perfect. I want to start making my own bread instead of buying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful. Julia would be proud! Thanks for sharing at Must Try Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/08/show-your-stuff-36-taco-casserole.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...