Friday, August 10, 2012

Julia Child's Quiche Aux Oignons

My dear friend Niki (my partner in crime on our shared blog Daily Facsimile)  is moving away from Boston soon, so we had a potluck au revoir brunch  for her. I turned to Julia for inspiration of what to make, and that ended up being an onion quiche with Swiss cheese. It was completely delicious.

It seems like a huge amount of onions (I was shocked when reading the recipe for the first time, but put my faith in Julia and tried it anyhow), but once they are cooked down all the way, it ends up being about a cup of super flavorful, caramelized onions.

Quiche Aux Oignons (from Mastering the Art of French Cooking)
[Onion Quiche]
2 lbs minces onions (about 7 cups)
3 Tb butter
1 Tb oil
1 1/2 Tb flour
2 eggs or 3 yolks
2/3 cup whipping cream
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
2 ounces (1/2 cup) grated Swiss cheese
An 8-inch partially cooked pastry shell on a baking sheet, page 146
1 Tb butter cut into pea-sized dots

Cook the onions in a heavy skillet with the oil and butter over very low heat, stirring occasionally until they are extremely tender and a golden yellow. This will take about an hour.

Sprinkle with the flour, mix well, and cook slowly for 2 or 3 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.

Beat the eggs or egg yolks in a mixing bowl with the cream and seasonings until blended. Gradually mix in the onions and half of the cheese. Check seasoning. Pour into tart shell. Spread on the rest of the cheese and distribute the butter over it. Bake in the upper third of preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until quiche has puffed and browned.

... this recipe can also be found at some of my favorite food blog hops


Pin It

9 comments:

  1. I don't think I could eat this because of the onions but it still sounds expertly made, I'm sorry to hear that your friend is going away so soon though, that's never good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mal,

    What a classic! Great choice for a bon voyage. Julia never lets us down:)

    Have a great weekend,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! There was a time when I didn't like onions but now I am actually salivating over recipes like this! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great. I am a firm believe that you can never have too much: 1) onion 2) garlic 3) shallots

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love quiches, this is always a great dish for any moment of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful quiche !
    Looks great and I just love the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not an onion person, but I'm glad this worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff, you are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/08/show-your-stuff-37-sweet-and-sour.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...