Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Apple Brown Betty

If you are a fan of King of the Hill, you have heard of apple brown betty, the dessert speciality of Peggy Hill (see screen grab at left). However, the show doesn't really go into detail about what this dessert is, so I did some research and came up with my own rendition.

This is a delicious, sweet, buttery dessert that is perfect with crunchy pecans and tart apples.


Apple Brown Betty
1/2 a long baguette, or 1 short one, cut into tiny cubes- day old works great (yielding approximately 4 cups)
3 tart apples (granny smith or macintosh are my fave), peeled, cored and sliced
1 cups dark brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans
6 tablespoons salted butter, cut into thin pats
1/3 cup water

Preheat oven to 375. Generously butter a 9 inch baking dish (I used a deep pie dish). Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon.

Scatter 1/3 of the bread bits into the baking dish, then layer on half of the apples, then sprinkle on half of the pecans and half of the brown sugar mixture. Repeat with 1/3 of the bread,  then the remaining apples, pecans, and brown sugar mixture.  Sprinkle on the rest of the bread and cover the top with thin pats of butter. Finish by sprinkling the top with 1/3 cup of water, one spoonful at a time.

Bake, covered with foil, for 45 minutes. Remove foil and then bake for another 15 minutes until top is nice and brown.

Serve warm with whipped cream, ice cream, or hard sauce, they're all wonderful.

this recipe can also be found at some of my favorite food blog hops



Pin It

13 comments:

  1. I've heard about apple brown betty quite a bit, but never thought about making one. This looks delicious!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must make it! Perfect fall dessert

      Delete
  2. Mal, I love apple brown betty! Yum!
    Have a good week,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, that looks delicious! I'll have to try it out!

    Love your blog!

    Angela
    grahamandangela.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've watched King of the Hill before and loved it so it's awesome to see this dessert in real life Mal thanks, it looks incredibly delicious too, I'd love to get my hands on some right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yeah, I'd always wondered about it in real life- so now I know :-)

      Delete
  5. I've never watched that show but the dessert looks amazing! Sounds perfect for fall!! Thanks for linking up to Mom's Test Meal Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/09/show-your-stuff-40-baked-cheesy-potatoes.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to see Spapeggy and Meatballs next.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh these look so good! Hope you are having a great weekend.
    Thanks for sharing on Southern Sundays.
    Come back soon!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for linking up last week at Recipe Sharing Monday. The new link party is now up and I'd love it if you joined us again. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For some reason I thought Apple Brown Betty was just another term for Apple Crisp or Apple Crumble. Now I know I was wrong and there is another delish sounding apple dessert out there for me to try. Thanks so much for linking up to the Thanksgiving Treats & Fall Fun link party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I've heard of Apple Brown Betty but I have neither had it nor seen a recipe for it...until now! This is definitely going on the "to make" list! Thanks for sharing on Thanksgiving Treats and Fall Fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...