Monday, September 10, 2012

Coffee Cake

The other day Greg was musing about coffee cake, but not a cake to be eaten with coffee, instead one that tastes of coffee. Brilliance. I went hunting for a great recipe and made it immediately. And oh my goodness, was it good.

Coffee Cake (from The Pioneer Woman: Food From My Frontier)
2 sticks unsalted butter
3 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
1 cup boiling water
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Once melted, sprinkle the coffee crystals on top and then pour in the boiling water. Let bubble for a few seconds and then turn off the heat.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Pour coffee mixture in and stir to combine.

In a small bowl mix together the buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and vanilla, then add to the coffee and flour mixture. Stir until well combined and then pour the batter into the prepared pans.

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until set. Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes in the pans before removing them.

Allow to cool completely before frosting the cake.

Vanilla Buttercream (adapted from my mom's recipe)
3/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
4 3/4 cups confectioner's sugar
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
whole milk

Place butter and vanilla bean seeds in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until soft, creamy and well combined. Slowly add in sugar until the mixture starts to form clumps, then add in vanilla extract. Finally, one tablespoon at a time, add the whole milk until the frosting comes together in a creamy, spreadable texture.





Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Mmm I love coffee and this cake sounds delicious. Plus, it's super pretty!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coffee cake that actually has coffee in it. Thanks so much for sharing at Must Try Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cake and I love coffee so I guess it has to be a winning combination, I seriously might try my hand at baking some of this now, mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love coffee ice cream so this it going to be a must for me very soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Aubrey
    http://www.realhousemoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous cake!
    I don't like coffee, but I'd love a slice of this cake anytime!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness...I am a coffee addict and I could probably eat the entire cake myself! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This coffee cake looks delicious! I am loving the vanilla bean frosting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/09/show-your-stuff-41.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! Your wonderful coffee cake is a featured recipe on today's Southern Sundays. Hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...