Monday, October 8, 2012

Apple Butter

Apple butter is one of my things to make in the fall.  It is a bit similar to applesauce, but cooked down and concentrated into a dark and super flavorful delicious spread. And your house will smell delicious as it slowly cooks all day. The tradition of apple butter dates back to Colonial times as a way to use up abundant apple crops.

I don't like a lot of sugar in mine since the apples cook down and become fairly sweet, but be sure to taste along the way and adjust to your tastes. Apple butter also freezes wonderfully.

Apple Butter
3 1/2 lbs apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Put apples into the crockpot, cover and set on high (you can also do this on the stovetop over low heat if you prefer or don't have a crockpot, I like using a crockpot for this because it doesn't have to be watched carefully and I can get other things done while it cooks). Let cook, stirring occasionally, until apples have completely broken down, about 3 1/2 hours.

Add cinnamon and sugar, stir until well combined and allow to cook for 1 1/2 more, stirring every once in a while. If you like a smooth apple butter (which I do!) use an immersion blender until mixture is very smooth, if you like some texture to it, skip this step.

Switch temperature to low. Cook for another 3 1/2 hours with the lid ajar until the apple butter has darkened and thickened, stirring occasionally.

this recipe can also be found at some of my favorite food blog hops



Pin It

10 comments:

  1. This is amazing and reminds me of all the trips I had to Cracker Barrel when I was over in America, I really want to make this now, American apple products are just amazing, we don't really mix cinnamon and apple over here as much as you guys like to which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect autumn treat:) I need to make it soon:) Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apple butter is on my fall to do list! I can't wait to try making it!!
    Thanks so much for linking up to MTM Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That apple butter looks delicious!!

    I have pumpkin butter at home that I LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh i wanna make this! i have apples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so easy and I love that it hardly has any sugar in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wanted to make apple butter. Now I just need to find a sale on apples : )

    Thanks for sharing at Mealtime Monday!

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing on foodie friday such a wonderful and seasonal recipe. Apple butter is perfect on top of muffins and toast etc all through the Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made a version of this and them canned it in a hot water bath. It was a most popular item in last year's gift baskets. Thanks so much for linking up to the Thanksgiving Treats & Fall Fun link party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE homemade apple butter. Yours looks amazing....can you send some my way? Thanks so much for linking up at Thanksgiving Treats and Fall Fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...