Monday, October 22, 2012

Caramel Corn

Awhile back, my boss brought in some caramel corn that his wife had made. It was really delicious and I immediately had to e-mail her for the recipe. I made a few changes to the original recipe, and came up with some amazing caramel corn.

Caramel Corn 
2 bags plain microwave popcorn 
1 cup unsalted butter 
1/2 cup corn syrup
2 cups lightly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans

Pop the popcorn according to instructions. 

Pour popcorn into a large mixing bowl (I used two), you want to have enough space in the bowl to toss the popcorn with the caramel.

Preheat oven to 250, line two sheet pans with foil and line counter with parchment paper.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add corn syrup, brown sugar, and salt. Increase heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Once boiling, allow to boil for 5 minutes without stirring. 

Remove the sugar mixture from heat and stir in the baking soda and vanilla, the mixture will foam up.

Quickly pour caramel over popcorn and toss to coat. It will feel unmanageable and will not coat the popcorn evenly, but do not worry.

Spread the popcorn onto the prepared pans and bake for 50 minutes, stirring and rotating the pans every 10 minutes. During the last 20 minutes of cooking, sprinkle the pecans into the popcorn.

Turn out the cooked popcorn onto the parchment lined counter to cool and firm up.

this recipe can also be found at some of my favorite food blog hops



Pin It

10 comments:

  1. This is such a traditional Autumn snack yet sounds so delicious, it seems really simply to make too in a good way, I'd love to try some of this out, I'm tempted to indulge in my sweet tooth and give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I love caramel corn! I have a recipe that's nearly the same as yours except it uses stove-popped corn. I've also found that the you can sub sucanat for brown sugar with really good result. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy! That looks so good and tasty I can almost smell it and taste the sweet warm gooey goodness! Thanks for sharing the recipe, must try this out! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I not only love your recipe, I love your popcorn holder! I am a sucker for all things related to the kitchen!

    I am pinning this recipe and am following you on twitter and instagram!

    I would love it if you would join me on this Friday with some of your recipes. Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love making caramel corn. It's such an easy treat. Thanks for sharing at Must Try Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great. I haven't ever tried to make this at home.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your popcorn holder is missing the divider for the two other flavors.

    Also you spilled some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum yum yum. Since I left Chicago and don't have easy access to Garrett's wonderful caramel corn, I have needed to whip up some of my own. This looks like it would be so tasty. Thanks so much for linking up to the Thanksgiving Treats & Fall Fun link party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing like homemade caramel corn...I think it's the butter! MMMMMMMMMMM. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe on Thanksgiving Treats and Fall Fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...