Monday, November 5, 2012

Curried Sweet Potato Soup

This is a perfect fall soup. It can easily be vegetarian (vegetable stock) or even vegan (vegetable stock and a butter substitute or olive oil). Using pumpkin instead of sweet potato would also be a great variation.

Curried Sweet Potato Soup
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 cup coconut milk (unsweetened, first press)
optional topping: plain greek yogurt (or sour cream), finely sliced green onions

Melt butter in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until lightly browned, then add garlic and sauté for a few minutes to cook out the rawness. Add in curry powder and stir until well combined and cook for a minute more.

Stir in broth. Bring to a boil and add in sweet potato cubes. Cook until sweet potato is tender, about 25 minutes. Use an immersion blender (or you can use a potato masher if you want a bit of texture or don't have a blender) to purée the soup until smooth. Once smooth, reduce heat, stir in coconut milk and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Top with greek yogurt (or sour cream if you like) and green onions.

this recipe can also be found at some of my favorite food blog hops


Pin It

11 comments:

  1. This looks delicious Mal. I really adore the flavour of sweet potato so enjoying it curied would be a real treat for me, this looks absolutely incredible and I'd love to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet this is really good on a cold day! Thanks for sharing at Must Try Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so tasty. Though, if you are not a fan of coconut(the flavor doesn't sit well with me) what would you suggest to replace it? Maybe some cream? I bet this would be good with butternut squash too. Thanks so much for linking up to the Thanksgiving Treats & Fall Fun link party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cream or milk would work perfectly! It adds a nice richness at the end.

      Delete
  4. OMG, I love curry...this is a must make! Thanks so much for sharing on Thanksgiving Treats and Fall Fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had sweet potatoes for the first time this season last night...they were delicious!! Such a great cold-weather food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sweet potato/curry combination and this soup sounds PERFECT on a chilly night like this one!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh I wish I had some soup right now! I bet butternut squash would work great too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love curried soups. Looks wonderful, Mal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted you to know that I've included your chili in a sweet potato roundup today. Will be tweeting etc your recipe all week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey there! thanks for your comment on my post. i have been making this soup at least twice a week now for the last month, so im happy to have found this yummy recipe! going to try this tonight, i even have sweet potatos in the fridge! thanks for sharing!!

    Miyan
    fly far

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...