Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Barbacoa Beef

Barbacoa is extremely flavorful, super tender beef with a bit of a spicy kick (you may have tried Chipotle's super yummy rendition which is what inspired me to make my own).

This beef is great for tacos, quesadillas, nachos, sandwiches, or to just devour by the forkful. And it freezes well! Which is great since this makes a bunch of beef.

Barbacoa Beef (adapted from here)
4 pounds beef (brisket, round roast, or chuck roast work just fine, just use whatever your store has)
1 7oz can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 large onion, peeled and quartered
1 head of of garlic, peeled
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup cider vinegar
14 ounces beef stock (1 can)
1 cup water

topping ideas: avocado, pico de gallo, cheese, tomato, shredded lettuce, green onions, sour cream, fresh lime juice, hot sauce, caramelized onions, salsa

Combine peppers, onion, garlic, salt, lime juice, and vinegar in the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times until coarsely chopped and combined.

Pour the pepper mixture into the bottom of the crock pot, lay beef on top and pour the beef stock and water over the the meat. Add the bay leaves and cover.

Cook on high for 4 hours, then reduce temperature to low for another 2-3 hours until meat is extremely tender and basically falling apart.

Move beef to a cutting board and pour the cooking liquid into a fat separator. Shred the beef with two forks and return it to the crock pot. Pour in enough of the liquid that the meat absorbs it and is moist, but not drowning in liquid (I added approximately 2 cups back). Keep warm in the crockpot until serving.

this recipe can also be found at some of my favorite food blog hops

Barbacoa

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I am constantly looking for slow cooker recipes! This looks perfect - I too am a huge fan of chipolte's beef barbacoa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds so good and looks so good that I'm finding myself nearly licking my lips here Mal, seems awesome to me, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like good stuff. This recipe is bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I feel like I need to celebrate Taco Tuesday this month :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...