Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Beet Salad

I have only recently discovered how much I enjoy beets, which I ordered on a whim when out with some colleagues. I don't know how I hadn't tried them before.

This a beautiful salad, I am a bit obsessed with how pretty beets are. This dish is so simple and delicious, and it utilizes the greens as well, which would be a shame to throw away.

Beet Salad
2 bunches of beets, with greens attached (about 8 small-medium beets)
1/3 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
pinch of salt
plenty of fresh ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 425.

Trim beets of roots and greens (reserving greens for later). Scrub beets and wrap in a few foil packets (I did 2-3 beets per packet). Roast until tender, about an hour.

In the meantime, mix together, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.

Remove beets from oven, and let sit until cool enough to handle. Using paper towels to protect your hands (from heat and staining), gently rub the skins away from the beets (this is surprisingly quick and easy). Cut the beets into bitesize chunks. Put beets into bowl and toss with half of the olive oil dressing. Store in fridge until ready to serve (can be done in advance).

Before serving, roughly chop beet greens, rinse and dry. Toss with remaining dressing and pour out onto a platter, top with the dressed beets, and then the pecans and feta cheese.

this recipe can also be found at some of my favorite food blog hops

Beets 

Beet Salad

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I've always been in a family of people who love beetroot and while I go in and out of phases were I eat it often then don't for a while it is so delicious, this is making me hungry Mal, looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...