Monday, September 9, 2013

Sesame and Everything Bagels

Growing up, every Sunday morning my family and I would have bagels from the local shop in our town. They were freshly made and still warm when my dad got home with them. Yesterday I was feeling nostalgic for the Sunday bagels, so I made my own.

Bagels (from here)
dough:
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoon yeast

boiling:
3 quarts water
3 tablespoons sugar

topping and baking:
1 egg white
2 tablespoons water
sesame seeds
bagel spice (I used the original)
2 tablespoons cornmeal

Combine dough ingredients in bread machine in the order indicated by the manufacturer, set to the dough setting. After dough is ready, place it on a floured surface and let rest for about 10 minutes.

Cut dough into 8 even pieces, shape each piece into a flattened ball. Using your thumb, make a whole in the center of the dough, and use your fingers to stretch the dough out a bit so it's an open circle. Cover shaped dough with a clean towel and allow to rest for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375. Dust a baking sheet with the 2 tablespoons cornmeal.

While dough is resting, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot and stir in 3 tablespoons of sugar. When the dough is ready, put 4 bagels into the boiling water for one minutes, flipping them halfway through. Then remove them to a clean towel to dry slightly. Boil the second batch of bagels.

Mix together egg white and 2 tablespoons water. Brush the bagel with the egg white wash and then sprinkle on the topping of your choice. Arrange bagels on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, or until nicely browned, rotating the pan halfway through.

this recipe can also be found at some of my favorite food blog hops

Bagels- post boiling, pre baking 

b is for bagel 

Sesame and Everything Bagels

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I've never made my own bagels, but I totally want to try. These look so beautiful!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so delicious, I really want to try one haha, like as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried making bagels once and it wasn't pretty. I think it's worth a second try with this recipe though. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...